What is Water Hammer and How Can You Stop It?

Water Hammer Repair

Have you ever heard a sound coming from your pipes that sounds a bit like jack hammering? You may hear it after you turn a tap off, or once a washing machine or dishwasher cycle has finished the water intake or fill part of its cycle. It is often a loud bang in your pipes after a fill valve or a shut-off valve shuts off.

Water hammering is how plumbers describe the banging sound that comes from your pipes or plumbing work. It might also sound like a knocking or banging on the pipes. The technical name for it is hydraulic shock, but most people refer to it as water hammering.