Unblocking Showers – Auckland
What do I do if my shower gets blocked?
If you notice that the water doesn’t flow down the shower drain as it should, or it pools around the bottom of the shower, you probably have a blocked shower.
A shower blockage can be a real inconvenience. If you’ve got a blocked drain or clogged toilet in the house, chances are you have another one you can use while you wait for the plumber to arrive. If you have a blocked shower, though, you may not have a second shower to use.
If your shower gets blocked, there are a few things you can do to unclog it:
- Very hot water: While you’re standing outside of the shower, turn on just the hot water for a minute or two. If it is just soap scum and oil that is causing the blockage, this will help dissolve or dislodge it.
- Try plunging: Grab a toilet plunger – or a smaller sink plunger that looks and functions in the same way as a toilet plunger – pop it over top of the drain and pump the plunger a few times.
- Drain cleaning products: Only use products specifically designed for drains and avoid any other household cleaners as they may not be safe for the wastewater system.
- Pull out the blockage: If you can, remove the cover of your shower drain and remove anything you can see that is causing the shower blockage (it’s usually a clump of hair).
You can read more about these DIY methods in our blog called How to Unblock a Shower Drain.
If none of those methods works, it’s time to call in some professional help
Give the team at Sumich a call on 0800 437 021 and we can help. Our Emergency Plumbers in Auckland are available 24/7 to help you in any emergency.
We have the right tools to look inside the drain and get deep inside if there is something lodged in a pipe. We can determine if there are bigger plumbing issues that need resolving. We can also look at your drainage system to see if it’s working as it should be. It may be that your shower is blocking up because of a problem further down the system, such as tree roots blocking your wastewater system. No amount of drain cleaner down the shower is going to permanently fix that issue.
Why does my shower get blocked?
- You’ve got too much hair in the shower drain.
Do not comb or brush your hair in the shower, and do not clean your comb or brush the shower.
- A small object may have fallen down the drain and caused a shower blockage.
Avoid wearing jewellery in the shower, especially small earrings or piercing studs that can easily fall down the drain and add to the collection of small items and hair in the drainpipes.
- You don’t have a proper drain cover.
If your shower doesn’t already have a proper drain cover, you can pick one up at your local hardware store. They’re cheap, and they will save you in plumbing repair bills.
- Your drainage, plumbing and pipes are due for a check.
It’s important to have regular checks and maintenance done on your home’s plumbing and drainage system to clear away any blockages before they become bigger problems.
The Sumich team can come out and do a good overview check of your drainage system, inside and out, and let you know of any issues that might occur in future. Prevention is always better than repairing damage. We may even help you discover ways to save on your water use. To get a free shower unblocking quote, please call us on 0800 437 021 or complete the online form for a free quote.
Contact us for a free quote
The Sumich Difference
There are a number of plumbing and drainage companies in Auckland, so why choose Sumich?
Founded by owner-operator Chris Sumich in 1991, Sumich Plumbing & Drainage has one of the most experienced teams operating in Auckland. Our team has a combined experience of over 100 years and we’ve seen a comprehensive range of scenarios and solutions over the years. Clients trust us to give honest, transparent advice and service.
As registered members of the New Zealand Plumbers, Drainlayers & Gasfitters Association, we are professional, licensed Auckland plumbers for all of your plumbing, drain laying, gas-fitting and heating needs. Give us a call to see how we can help.