There is a range of hot water cylinder manufacturers that make the highest quality models, each manufacturer also has a variety of models in different sizes to suit your household’s needs. Getting the size of your unit right is extremely important as it can save you money. The sizing information from manufacturers can be very distracting, while others simplify the answer to a very complicated question.
Questions to ensure you select the right size hot water unit for your home.
- How many bathrooms do you have? A one bathroom home can run on a 16 litre per minute or 20 litres per minute unit; however, a two or three bathroom home may require a bigger unit.
- Where are the bathrooms and other hot water outlets in the building? The location of the hot water outlets in the bathroom, kitchen or laundry in relation to the hot water unit is important. It is often better to fit the unit closer to the kitchen where immediate hot water demand is greater. However, if you have two bathrooms at opposite ends of the house, you may need two units to supply sufficient hot water to all outlets.
- How often will multiple hot water outlets run simultaneously? How often you run multiple hot water outlets, such as showers or the kitchen taps at the same time will give you an idea of appropriate units. Scenario one: A 20 litre per minute model may be suitable for a two-bathroom home with a couple who rarely use the second shower. Scenario two: a bigger model would be required for a two-bedroom house with a family of 4 who uses both showers daily at the same time.
- What time of tapware do you have installed? In today’s market, there is a huge variety of tapware available, this includes ranges with a very high flow rate. Shower heads are the important fittings to be considered, the typical flow for a shower is 8-10 litres per minute. This needs to be considered and factored in before deciding the capacity of your unit.
- Where in New Zealand do you reside? Ambient temperatures vary greatly in the country, especially the centre of the North Island and the South Island. This is important as it will determine the temperature of the incoming water and the rise in temperature required at the hot water outlet.
Rinnai – Hot Water Cylinders
Rinnai one of the leading brands that manufacture gas continuous flow systems with varying capacity suited to domestic or commercial use. The Rinnai Infinity A-series models are best suited for use in residential homes as they have a lower initial cost. The models in this unit come in a variety of sizes that can deliver between 16 and 32 litres of water per minute. The Rinnai Infinity HD series units are designed with higher flow rates and larger water use in mind, these units come in sizes varying between 26 and 32 litres of water per minute. The Rinnai Infinity EF range was designed for the environmentally friendly consumer, the units range between 26 and 32 litres of water per minute.
Rheem – Hot Water Cylinders
Rheem is another trusted manufacturer producing units in a variety of sizes for all sorts of applications. The capacity varies from a 16 litre of water unit suitable for a one bathroom home to a 27-litre unit for a home with a higher hot water requirement.
If you’re looking to upgrade your current hot water heater system or need to install a new system, contact Sumich Plumbing on 0508786424 they are one of the recommended hot water cylinder installer in Auckland.