Roof Maintenance Tips – Auckland
One of the most important features of your house to look after is your roof. It protects you from the elements and keeps you safe, warm and dry. Many of us, however, don’t give much thought to our roofs…. that is, until something goes wrong.
How do you know when your roof needs maintenance?
The most common sign that your roof needs repairs or maintenance is a leak. You may see water dripping down the walls, or you may see water stains on your internal ceilings or walls. Alternatively, you may notice mould or mildew stains inside the house. These are all signs that there may be water coming into your home from damage to the roof.
Another thing you may notice that indicates that your roof needs repairs or maintenance is parts of the roof coming detached or flapping in the wind. If the shingles, tiles or sheets of metal are not flat – and staying down in bad weather – it may be time for roof repairs.
These are the two most obvious signs that your roof needs attention. By walking you through the steps we take when we do a roof inspection at Sumich, we’ll highlight some of the other things that may need attention with your roof.
Things to check to determine if your roof is in good condition
When we come out to do a roof maintenance check, there are some standard things we check to ensure your roof is in good condition.
- First, we take a good look at the roof itself. We’ll climb up and check the shingles, tiles or metal sheets that make up your roof. Are there any holes, dents or broken pieces? Have parts of the roof come away?
- Next, we look at the places where the roof attaches to the sides of the house, the gutters and the flashings. The flashings are the metal strips that run down the roof where two edges meet, or where the chimney and the roof meet. Flashings act like a seal on a join, so if they’re not flush or intact, you experience a roof leak.
- We’ll check your gutters. Are there leaves, branches or other debris accumulating in your gutters or spouting? If so, water won’t be draining away properly, and you may be looking at another cause of a leak. If your gutters are full of debris, they may become excessively heavy and pull away from the house, causing damage.
- We’ll check your downpipes and drainpipes. These are the pipes that run vertically down the side of your house, or in the corners, and they allow the water to run off your roof down into your drainage system or your water tank. Similar to your gutters, these must be clean and clear of debris in order to function properly. They need to be kept tidy in order to prevent damage from pipes pulling away from the house. And they must be kept clear of rubbish or rodent/animal waste if you are collecting rainwater into a water tank.
- We’ll look at the fixtures and nails used on your roof. Are any of them missing or loose? Do any need repairing or replacing? It’s important to make sure that these are still in place, holding your roof securely in place.
- We’ll check if the paint is peeling or blistering. This is common and no great cause for concern. Your roof is exposed to all weather elements, so it’s natural for the paint to need touching up or refreshing from time to time.
At Sumich, we strongly advise you call in the professionals to check whether your roof is still in good condition or needs a bit of maintenance and repairs. A fall from the roof is one of the most common accidents around the house, and it can have devastating consequences.
If you want your roof checked, please call the professional roof repair and roof replacement team at Sumich Plumbing & Drainage. We have all the necessary equipment to do a thorough and safe check, and we have over 30 years experience in maintaining, repairing and installing roofs all over Auckland. We know what to look for, and the best ways to assess how much longer your roof will last. We are the experienced roofing professionals you can trust to keep your property safe and sound.
The Sumich Difference
There are a number of plumbing and drainage companies in Auckland, so why choose Sumich?
Founded by owner-operator Chris Sumich in 1991, Sumich Plumbing & Drainage has one of the most experienced teams operating in Auckland. Our team has a combined experience of over 100 years and we’ve seen a comprehensive range of scenarios and solutions over the years. Clients trust us to give honest, transparent advice and service.
As registered members of the New Zealand Plumbers, Drainlayers & Gasfitters Association, we are professional, licensed Auckland plumbers for all of your plumbing, drain laying, gasfitting and heating needs. Give us a call to see how we can help.