Roof Leak Repair
Discovering you have a leak somewhere in your roof will likely cause a range of reactions – frustration (I don’t have time to deal with this), fear (oh no, how severe is the damage?) and worry (how much is this going to cost me?).
With Sumich Plumbing & Drainage you’re in safe hands, so stay calm and we’ll walk you through what to do if you discover you have a leak in your roof.
- Determine the cause The first thing we need to do is determine what the cause of the roof leak is. There might be a crack or hole somewhere in the roof, debris blocking a part of the roof, damage to the gutters or flashings, or a section where a roof panel or set of shingles have come away. There are a number of reasons why your roof may be leaking – read more here.
- Try to stop the leak If water is leaking into the property because of a hole or crack in the roof, and you can get to the spot of the leak safely, then you want to try to stop the water damage immediately. If you can access where the water is coming in, place a tarp over the hole to help stop the water coming into the house.
- Contain the water If there is water dripping or running down somewhere, and you can’t stop it with a tarp (or you can’t get up onto your roof) it’s important to try to stop any damage inside the house. Rather than allowing the water to pool or puddle on the floor, or drip down the wall, try to put a bucket immediately under the dripping water.
- Clear away furniture and belongings You don’t want to deal with a roof that needs repairs as well as furniture or other household items that get damaged. So clear away anything that might get dripped on or splashed. Pay particular attention to wooden floors and furniture. Soft furnishings and fabrics can dry out or be cleaned, but reversing water damage done to those beautiful hardwood floors or your family dining table is another story.
- Take photos There are a few reasons why we always suggest you take photos when you have a roof leak (or any other damage in or around your home). Possibly the most important reason is so that you are able to show your insurance company what damage has been caused. Photos will help speed up the process of lodging a claim. It’s also important to take photos if the property is a rental property – whether you are the tenant or landlord. Photos will help you gauge whether the leak and/or associated damage is getting worse over time. Lastly, photos will make it much easier and quicker to deal with the company helping to repair the leak. At Sumich, if you can email us a few photos we’ll be able to advise you on what to do next and whether we need to send our emergency Auckland plumbing team out to you immediately.
- Call your trusted roof leak repair team at Sumich Plumbing & Drainage Give us a call on 0800 437 021 and we’ll talk you through the next steps. Depending on how bad the damage is (and whether or not it’s raining), we’ll assess whether an emergency call-out is required. We have an emergency Auckland plumbing team available to help you 24/7. Our team is highly experienced in roof repairs, roof maintenance and roof replacements.
How to avoid a roof leak?
Keep up regular roof maintenance
The best way to avoid a roof leak is to keep your roof clean, clear of debris, and free of cracks or damaged parts. The team at Sumich can give you a quote for regular maintenance checks, including:
- replacing damaged metal roofs
- touching up paint
- keeping the roof watertight
- repairing any damage caused by bad weather
Looking after these issues before they become more serious will help ensure that your roof remains in great condition all year round.
If you need help with the leaking roof call your trusted roof leak repair team at Sumich Plumbing & Drainage Give us a call on 0800 437 021.
The Sumich Difference
There are a number of plumbing and drainage companies in Auckland, so why choose Sumich?
Founded by owner-operator Chris Sumich in 1991, Sumich Plumbing & Drainage has one of the most experienced teams operating in Auckland. Our team has a combined experience of over 100 years and we’ve seen a comprehensive range of scenarios and solutions over the years. Clients trust us to give honest, transparent advice and service.
As registered members of the New Zealand Plumbers, Drainlayers & Gasfitters Association, we are professional, licensed Auckland plumbers for all of your plumbing, drain laying, gasfitting and heating needs. Give us a call to see how we can help.