Plumbing, Drainage, Gas Fitting & Roofing

When most people think of a plumber, the image that comes to mind is the guy crouching down underneath the kitchen sink trying to fix a pipe. More often than not, it’s a male, and he is wearing trousers that don’t come up high enough. But times have changed!

Not only are we seeing more females entering the trade, but plumbing is also getting the recognition it’s due as an essential service in keeping your household healthy and safe. There are a complex number of plumbing and drainage systems that you rely on every single day, usually without giving it a second thought – that is, until something stops working.

In order to get a full appreciation of how much “plumbing” you have in your home, we need to understand all the different types of plumbers that you can encounter. We can look at this in two ways – by the type of work they do, and by the type of certification or qualification they have.

Different types of plumbers – by the type of work they do

While we do fix pipes under the kitchen sink, plumbing is so much more than that. Look around your home to see how much you rely on water coming in and water draining out – sinks, basins, showers, baths, laundry tubs, appliances, etc.

Then have a look around the outside of your property and take note of the spouting, roofing, irrigation systems, underground pipes, rainwater tank, etc.

Now let’s look at all of these systems in categories:

Plumbing – generally speaking, this involves all of the ways that fresh water comes into your home.

Work in this area might involve leaky taps or faucets, leaky or hammering pipes, water pressure problems, lack of water, lack of hot water, running toilets, damaged pipes, water damage.

Drainage – this usually involves all of the ways that wastewater drains out of your home.

Work in this area might include a clogged sink, blocked drain, shower or bath that drains slowly or not at all, a clogged or overflowing toilet.

Water heating – this is a specialist area that involves work on your hot water cylinder, continuous flow hot water system, heat pump water heating or any other system you use to generate hot water.

Gas fitting – not all plumbers are certified gas fitters, but the team at Sumich Plumbing & Drainage is. This means we have the knowledge and expertise to work on your gas hot water cylinder, instantaneous gas water system, gas fireplace, gas hob and oven, gas heating – whether you use natural gas or bottled LPG gas.

Roofing – this is another specialist area that the Sumich team can help with. It’s a natural fit for us because the main function of your roof is to keep you safe and dry. We can maintain, repair or replace your spouting, gutters and downpipes to ensure you have efficient drainage off your roof, and to keep water away from your walls and windows. We can also help maintain, repair or replace your roof as needed.

CCTV and Root cutting – these are specialist areas of drain unblocking that require technical knowledge and equipment. If there are drainage issues around your property, we can investigate using our close circuit cameras. Often drainage problems are caused by tree roots blocking or damaging pipes, so we can get in there with our precise machinery to fix the problem.

Commercial plumbing – plumbing needs around the workplace are often more complex, so it pays to use a plumbing company like Sumich that is experienced in designing and maintaining commercial plumbing. We can help with the initial set-up and installation of workplace plumbing and pipe systems, commercial kitchens and bathrooms, sprinkler systems, etc.

The type of credentials they hold

With such a broad range of work that plumbers can potentially get involved in, it’s important to understand the professional qualifications or credentials available. A plumber may tell you he’s certified or licensed, but do you really understand what that means? In New Zealand, there are different levels of certification.

A Certifying plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer holds the highest qualification available, which takes a minimum of six years to complete. These tradespeople are responsible for ensuring both their own work and the work of anyone they supervise is done competently.

A Tradesman plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer is qualified and registered and usually works independently. However, the work they do must be supervised and signed off by a Certifying tradesperson.

A Journeyman plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer has completed a trade qualification, but not passed the relevant theory exam. They are registered and authorised to work, but must be supervised by a Certifying tradesperson.

A Trainee plumber is working towards becoming qualified and registered, and must work under the supervision of a Certifying tradesperson.

In NZ, only tradespeople who are registered and authorised by the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board (PGDB) can hold a practising licence.

Everyone authorised to undertake restricted sanitary plumbing, gas fitting or drain laying work must carry their NZ practising licence card and produce it when asked. Check the expiry date on the card to ensure it is current.

The team at Sumich Plumbing & Drainage are:

  • Registered members of the New Zealand Plumbers, Drainlayers & Gasfitters Association.
  • Registered Members of the Auckland Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainage Association Inc.
  • Chris Sumich is the Past President of the Auckland Plumbers Association.
  • Members of Site Safe.
  • Installers of EECA (Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority).

We know that Kiwis love our DIY, but please leave the plumbing to the professionals. It’s actually illegal to do most sanitary plumbing, gas fitting and drain laying work yourself. So give us a call and keep your household safe.